Rules Of The Road
MORE RIDERS MEANS REMEMBERING THE RULES OF THE ROAD
During quarantine, bicycle shops have seen an uptick in sales. It is not surprising since people want to get out and exercise. There is nothing better than riding your bicycle on a beautiful day. The fresh air is invigorating and the road beneath the tires gives you a sense of freedom. With a large number of new bicycles on the road, it is important to remember the rules of the road while riding.
BICYCLES ARE THE SAME AS CARS
– Bicycles are considered vehicles, just like cars and trucks, and have the same rights and responsibilities.
GO WITH THE TRAFFIC FLOW
– Ride on the right in the same direction as other vehicles.
OBEY ALL TRAFFIC LAWS
– Riders must obey the same traffic laws as drivers of other vehicles. Follow all traffic signals and signs.
– Watch and listen for traffic and other dangerous obstacles.
– Wear clothes that are visible – bright colors – even during the day. At night, make sure you have a white headlight and a red rear light.
LOOK & SIGNAL BEFORE TURNING
– Watch for all traffic when turning right or left. Be sure to communicate and signal before making the turn.
Here is a chart from the NHTSA to help with learning them if you don’t already know.
– Be considerate of others using the road or trail. Give an audible signal before passing.